These scones taste like you went out in the field, and picked your own strawberries. They are so delicious, fresh, and springy. Don’t mind if I sit on the patio with 1, 2, or 3 of these with my cup of tea ;).
To top it off, these are incredibly guilt free. The scone has only the best kind of fat from the nut butter making it still decadent and delicious. There are also no added sweeteners in the scone itself. The glaze is made with greek yogurt and sweetened with a touch of honey and that incredible strawberry powder from the freeze dried strawberries. YUM!
I do have to say, that the texture will not be like your “traditional” flakey buttery scone because it doesn’t have butter. But they are still marvelous! And the texture and taste are still delightful. It truly is a wonderful afternoon guilt-free treat.
Strawberry Field Scones
Yields 8 Scones
- 2 cups oat flour (rolled oats blended into flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk + more for topping
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/4 cup runny almond butter
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup blended freeze dried strawberries
- Preheat the oven at 425 degrees before anything else! & Spray the bottom of a pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray. I also recommend dusting flour to the bottom to assure that nothing sticks! ( or you can use a silicone non-stick matt and not worry about it 😉 )
- In a blender blend the rolled oats until flour consistency, and then in a medium bowl add the oat flour. Mix in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and then add the almond butter and mix with a fork until evenly distributed throughout the mix.
- Create a well in the center, and add the rest of the wet ingredients, and strawberries and mix with your hands until you form the dough (remember not to over mix…combine everything and just form dough)
- Press the dough down like a large cookie, but don’t press too much (3/4 of an inch thick).
- Using a pizza cutter slice into 8 even slices and separate the scones slightly.
- Brush with 2 tsp almond milk over the top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 18 minutes (it will rise).
- While the scones bake, make the glaze! Blend 1/3 cup of the freeze fried strawberries and mix with the greek yogurt and honey- that’s it! Let it sit in the fridge until the scones are completely cooled.
- Once the scones are done, allow them to cool completely about 15 minutes.
- Smoother each scone with the strawberry glaze.
- These scones freeze beautifully for weeks or store in the fridge for about a week.
- If using regular flour or whole wheat flour start at 1 1/2 cup then add more or less depending on the texture ( not too sticky or too tough)