Caprese Chicken Casserole
Yields 6-8 servings
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 1/2 cups Cream Sauce
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded colbi jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs ( I made my own by blending 4 slices of day old bread)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup tomato slices
- Basil (for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Grease a large baking dish with cooking spray or butter and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Season your chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick skillet with olive oil, and sear the chicken breast on both sides. Cover, and let it cook until the internal temperature hits 165 degrees. Shred the chicken with a fork. It should pull apart easily.
- While the chicken is cooking, boil some water for the rotini pasta. Season the water with a generous amount of salt. Add the rotini, and let it cook for about 8 minutes or until al dente (just enough to bite into).
- Add the frozen spinach to the cooked shredded chicken and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the cream sauce to the chicken mix and let it bubble for about 5 minutes. Add the shredded colbi jack cheese, and mix well until the cheese is nice and melted. Turn off the heat. Add some of the pasta water to the creamy chicken mix, and the cooked pasta.
- Mix everything together, and pour it into your baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the bread crumbs, and the melted butter and set aside.
- Top the casserole with the mozzarella cheese first, then the bread crumb mix, paprika, and finally tomato slices.
- Wrap the top of the dish with aluminum foil and let it bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and let it bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes.
- Top the dish with fresh basil and serve immediately 🙂 It will be hot.