When quarantine started, I had a lot of trouble finding ingredients like flour, buttermilk, etc. With limited ingredients I was determined to come up with a delicious breakfast muffin and this one was a total hit! Besides… banana bread is all the rage right now and who doesn’t love chocolate and banana, right? This pancake mix version is amazing!
The texture is soft and fluffy just like any good muffin should be. 🙂
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Yields 4 Jumbo Muffins or 8 Regular-Sized Muffins
- 1 Cup Buttermilk Pancake Mix *
- 1/2 Scoop Protein Powder *
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup of Milk*
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar*
- 5 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Mashed Banana
- 3 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the milk and apple cider vinegar together and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter, and let it cool.
- Mix the dry ingredients- flour, protein, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder, and the sugars together then incorporate the milk + apple cider mixture (it’s a buttermilk alternative), and also add in the egg, and last; the cooled butter.
- Mix everything together until it’s well incorporated but do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and leave some extra for the topping!
- Evenly distribute the mix onto the muffin pan ( I used a jumbo pan), and let it bake for 17 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center to test if the muffin is done.
- Let it cool 15 minutes
- You can Substitute flour for the buttermilk pancake mix, but I find that it makes these muffins ultra fluffy! You can also use self rising flour for the same effect.
- Whey protein is optional but adds extra protein for breakfast!
- Instead of milk + apple cider vinegar you can totally use buttermilk! (I didn’t have buttermilk so milk + ACV did the trick) 😉
- Use more chocolate chips if you like them extra chocolaty. Or nuts for a delicious topping.
- These freeze well for weeks or store well in the refrigerator for up to one week.